Sunday, April 27, 2008

Journey vs. Adventure

ad·ven·ture n

1. an exciting or extraordinary event or series of events

2. an undertaking involving uncertainty and risk

jour·ney n

1. a gradual passing from one state to another regarded as more advanced, for example, from innocence to mature awareness

================================

A blog – wow! How does one begin a blog? is it, ready, set, go? or, three, two, one: blast off? maybe, on your marks, get set, GO? I haven't a clue if there is a correct way to do this therefore, as with many other things in my life, I am going to just jump in, headfirst!
At this point it seems logical to answer a few questions that have been asked of me recently, right up front. From my daughter, "Mommy, why are you doing this (the walk that is)?". From just about everyone that I run into during my day, "are you ready?", and from myself, " can I do this?". So here lie the answers:

WHY? This one is a two-part answer.

Part one: As I explained to my six-year-old daughter and seven-year-old son one night last week after they launched the 'WHY' word at me, "life is a journey with lots of surprises and unknowns. Some of the surprises are pretty sour and yucky so as I see it, you have two choices---keep living a sour life or take your sour stuff and figure out how to use it to make something sweeter." Perhaps the old 'when life gives you lemons, make lemonade' thought train is simplistic, but it is real for me. The diagnosis of life threatening cancer and subsequent journey is pretty darn tart but, there is also a tremendous amount of learning, growth and hope that has come with the experience. That said is my intention to use this adventure (555walk) as my way to make 'a big batch of lemonade', enough to share with everyone.

Part two: The second half of 'why' is best captured in an email I wrote to my dad, and the response he gave when this idea started brewing last fall:

November 25, 2007 (to my dad)
Hey there- Still rolling over the thought of/need for a physical adventure/goal in my life. Late April will be the five-year anniversary of my melanoma diagnosis and a very significant milestone in my life (so far)… I have been considering a Napa to SF walk - --perhaps I could walk to my five-year appointment at CPMC. More people could join in at different points, kids too, and it could still be a great adventure. I have done a few pecks at figuring out a route but nothing serious. Would love to cross the Golden Gate. If you have any thoughts on where to begin, let me know."
November 27, 2007 (from dad)
Dear One-- Sounds like a great idea--can I go too?
One of the many lessons I have learned from my cancer journey is that life should be celebrated--milestones, accomplishments, seasons, goals---birthdays simply aren't enough. In an effort to practice the lesson, I decided that five years was sure as heck something I wanted to celebrate and, in a special way.
READY? Ready for an adventure? Sure. Ready to walk more miles in a day than I ever have before? And then do it again the next day? And the next? With the exception of the lousy cold that has rendered the first half of my last week walk-free, I think I am as ready as I will ever be. I have been walking regularly for the last three months, usually 35+ miles/week. I have shoes that feel great thanks to the local running store and I have discovered the comfort of good socks. I have lost quite a bit of weight (my knees say 'thanks') and my spirits are good. And I have Mr. Navigation, THE Ultimate Map Man, and a diehard enthusiast for a good adventure, a.k.a. my dad, along with me. It feels like the answer to the question is, "yes, you bet I am ready." When in doubt, I have to put it in perspective and think back on a day five years ago when a doctor walked into the room shortly after surgery and said "it's cancer"---for that, we weren't ready because there is no amount of training that can make you ready for that journey. For this, five days, we ARE ready.
CAN I? This is the question that usually crosses my mind (A) in the middle of the night when I wake up and ask myself, 'why the heck did I come up with this idea; what was I thinking; am I nuts?' and (B) when I am out walking, start to feel a bit tired and am certain I am almost at my walking goal for that day only to look down at my pedometer and see that 'ugh, I have only made it half way'. And, each time I eventually answer that question of 'can I', and the answer is 'yes, of course I can.' In the end, in the scope of this adventure/event, I keep coming back to two things: (1) blisters just simply can not be worse than the barfing was, and (2) this is a five-day adventure, my cancer diagnosis has been a five-year journey.

So, ready or not, here we go, countdown with us, then, let the adventure begin!

No comments: