Friday, May 2, 2008

Day 2: Rail Trail, Two Ians and a Paddle

Today the adventure actually began---we were stopped on the highway early in our walk with a 'good morning' greeting from a lovely woman we met yesterday at Acacia, scaled a 10 ft. barbed wire fence, walked miles of railroad, had the opportunity to convince the railroad security (a guy named Ian) that we were well aware of the risks of our chosen rail trail that crossed a private hunting ground, and had the pleasure of meeting up with another wonderful Ian for a kayak paddle across the Petaluma River.

Seventeen miles of trek provided for hours of conversation with my father, Mike. Discovering my father's memories of my great grandparents, descriptions of my grandparent's lives as children and adults, recounting my parents experience and that of their drafted friends during the Vietnam war---stories I have always wanted to hear but the pace of life has never permitted such hours of questioning. A gift, time to share.

As Day #2 comes to a close, we sit enjoying a post dinner cup of tea in our hotel in Novato with a dear friend that has come from Berkeley and my mom, who has escaped her grandchildren for the evening (much deserved). A tasty 1/2 price happy hour dinner at Boca, an Argentinian restaurant and a most delicious cold beer were the perfect cap to a most amazing day.

As I head toward the horizontal position, I carry with me the feeling of my feet hanging off the dock of the Port Sonoma Marina, in the cool water, as I waited for my new friend, Ian, to return with a kayak for an afternoon paddle. What a treat!

2 comments:

555walk said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
555walk said...

Kari-
great to read about your travels today.......it sounds like it's been pretty amazing so far....no suprise here.
looking forward to strutting with you on Sunday. Enjoy tomorrow, looks like it should be beautiful.
Love for now.........your hubby.