Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Day 5 + 1: What Happened to Day 5?

Good Morning!  Day 5---wow, what a rush---hills, vistas, hugs, wind, cheer, tears, memories, gratitude---it all led to a crash and burn scenario on return to Camp Kaywoodie.  Cold beer, hot shower, bedtime story with the kids, and the next intent was blog time to close the chapter; the reality was a snoring mom that didn't rise until morning despite her instructions to 'wake me up if I fall asleep.'  So here I am, on Day 5+1.

After a 'Walton's Wake up', Team Hostel  (My dad & me + a Napa contingent of Shanna, Annie, Laura, Cari & my husband David) set out for the Golden Gate Bridge while a team  of braver bodies remained behind on car pack up and kid duty.  The hike out was simply amazing---steep climbs up trails sided with lush vegetation (& lots of poison oak), copious wildflowers and native plants that Annie, my dad and I hung back to take in, beautiful vistas back over the Headlands and Rodeo Lagoon and at last, we crested another hill and were greeted by our first view of the top of the Golden Gate towers and a whoop of cheers let out.  

The final 1.6 mile trek was some of the most strenuous of the trip---a straight up hillside climb brought us to the top of the windy, cold bluff on the west side of the bridge and a breathtaking 360 degree view of San Francisco, East Bay, Mt. Tam and beyond.  The view down left me wondering, short of a giant fire pole slide, how the heck were we going to get 'there from here' as it appeared to necessitate a straight down drop.  A couple of steep spells of down trail with cabled side rails and a long zig-zag trail crossing the hillside brought us closer to the gathering of 'specks' that we knew where there to greet us.  

As we came out of the grove at the bottom of the trail we were charged by a fleet of balloon butterflies in polar attire (our cold kids with balloon butterfly wings made by dear Lori), the group grew to 30+ and the parade proceeded down the east side of the Golden Gate Bridge.  A two mile walk of bike dodging, photo stops, and kids bouncing between families for a hand hold followed as new walkers kept appearing to join in along the way (Jyl & Keaton, a second grader  from Napa en route to his last chemo treatment, Susan a Cornell roommate  & Janet a dear SF friend that spent so many nights at my hospital bedside).  After a quick transportation snafu resolution summit at the south end that left me relieved to have a few SF local in tow,  we marched on to the Warming Huts below for a much needed feeding break.  Hot chocolate, tea, trail snacks and sandwiches were a good energy boost and spirit lift.

After a few tearful goodbyes to bridge walkers returning to Napa, our morning team grew again with our SF locals Susan & Janet and Shanna's mom, Lynne, in for the last haul. As the kids embarked on a full scale hill rolling play session, running a bit behind for the final leg push, we set off for a brisk walk along Crissy Field.  With ships passing by, a newspaper photographer sprinting ahead of us to snap pictures, and a step in visit from my friend David on a break from his job at the Exploratorium,  we proceeded on to the Marina Green and our final turn onto Webster St.  As we knew all along, this turn produced a view of the final and hardest mile of the adventure (as it always was when I made my hospital trips too) ---straight up the Webster St. hill where I frequently feel like I won't make it to the crest even in our car.

Calves burning, sweat dripping and our SF hill climbing locals prancing out in front (I did remind them that they had missed the first 70 miles of the trek)----at last, we crested the hill and approached our final destination---California Pacific Medical Center.  As we walked the last block, I fingered the necklace Laura gave me for safe travels as I left Napa five days ago (that now had the heart charm added that I wore through all of my treatment), stole a quick moment to take stock of the amazing people walking this hill with me (and waiting at the top) as they have at so many other hills along the cancer journey way, and took a deep breath as I did a quick flashback on what all this meant to me.  Eyes filling with tears, the welcoming group with the best picket line that has ever graced CPMC, stood waiting for our arrival.  "SF or Bust", "Thank You Nurses", "Go Momma Kari", and "Cancer Free, Way to Be"  were among the 'picket sign' messages they held as heads turned.

A  sparkling wine, caviar and Gatorade reception awaited at the hospital.  Dr. Minor's arrival received a cheer and the promised gift of champagne with a new Coolibar sun hat, a bottle of Blue Lizard sunscreen and a Kleen Kanteen (the walkers 'party pack')  were delivered in person, five years later.  Nurses came and went and  toasts, hugs, heartfelt thanks and tears were exchanged.  With a 4' x 10' poster of a study highlighting the outcome of biochemo treatment hanging on the wall and me listed as a case study among the small number of survivors, I once again realized what a monumental day this was.  I am here, I am well, I am strong, I am mom and I just walked 75 miles---AMEN!

As the kids grew restless the time had come to wrap it up. Before leaving CPMC, I slipped out for a quick minute to revisit the floor where I had been treated and to meet a patient and his wife from Reno that I have been corresponding with for the last few months.  As I learned in my journey, hope is a powerful drug, and it is my hope that my return to health can serve as a tangible instance of beating this awful beast, melanoma.  As Jeff endures his last round of chemo and embarks on the next phase of treatment, I will carry of vision of him as a strong, vital dad, husband, tennis partner, nature lover, and 5th grade teacher with one more life experience to share with generations to come.  Go Jeff Go!  

Cars loaded once more, the group of twenty-five descended on to Taylor's at Ferry Plaza for a post adventure family meal.  Cold beer, spicy tomato soup and sweet potato fries met my cravings while burgers, dogs, fries, fish tacos and milkshakes filled the tables all around.  Bellies and hearts full, like circus clowns in a VW bug act, we stuffed bodies into cars brimming with the trimmings of five days of adventure for the DRIVING trek back to Napa.  As I sat in the back seat and looked out my window, my mind retraced the past five days with each passing familiar sight---a bridge, a vista, frontage roads, a building, railroad tracks in the distance---my son Calem narrating all the way, "that was the third night", "that was the second night"... it was an adventure shared by many.

As I stepped in our door to wagging dog (not just her tail), we scurried off to hot showers and bedtime stories.  I fully intended to proceed on to writing this last night but nestled between two warm kiddos a long, hard sleep came quickly.  Reportedly, attempts at waking me failed and morning came.  The best sleep I have had in weeks, I woke feeling strong and ready to go again (although I am still in my PJs)---so, if anyone wants to go for a walk, just let me know---75 miles + 1???


1 comment:

Bea said...

Much of this last week, month, 4 years of knowing you have been filled with tears of joy. As I read this 5+1 post, it is no different. I am so grateful to know you, and those who surround you. What an amazing group of friends and family surround you. Thank you for letting me play the walking game. My shins and butt screamed out in pain as I climbed the stairs to my office, but I just laughed at the memories they brought. Let's do this again next year o.k.? Love, logistics girl