Saturday, May 3, 2008

Day 3-Dawning: Half Day = Half Way

I can hardly believe that 'hump day' has begun---that is to say that lunch today will mark the midway point of our adventure.

So far, so good, Day 3 has had a lovely dawning:
  • a 'not yet ready to get out of my very comfy bed, so I am going to lay in the dark' music moment, Wilco's 'California Stars'(thanks David for a new IPOD loading)
  • a hotel room floor, as dad snores, yoga session (thanks Sharon for teaching me this amazing tool)
  • a hot bath with Bob (Bob Dylan on my IPOD that it is)---just checking to seeif you are with me and awake yet!
  • and now a first in line,hotel lobby computer session with my coffee.

So as you can see, this job of walking isn't too shabby.

A few midway gear comments before I lace my shoes for the day:

Shoes: great, switching to pair #2 today so that I can take time tonight to pick all of the burrs and thorns from pair #1 (the railroad root is loaded with brush, thank you Jared @ Napa Running Company for making sure I had two pair.

Clothes: amazing. We are both wearing Coolibar UV protective shirts, hats and pants. Love my 'walking shirt', loose, comfortable, great coverage; my new hat has been great as the chin strap option has made windy afternoons much easier. Nightly handwashing yields a dry morning shirt: meets Captain Daddios tough traveling standards so his shirt may earn the right to travel with him to Honduras for a month this summer. Thank you Jennifer and John @ Coolibar.

Backpack: it rocks--hip strap is key for me. Thank you Susan and Mike Valvano for the loan.

Kleen Kanteen: A++. I am carrying two (18 & 28 oz). Love 'em. They have both taken a dive and now carry small character dents---good memories.

Snacks: wonderful. Nuts, dry fruit, chocolate, aged gouda, crackers, & assorted bars all courtesy of Trader Joe's; we added ao Angelo's VIP Jerky chunks to the pack yesterday.

Sunscreen: super. Using Blue Lizard Sport and Face resulting in very few new freckles. Passing out small sample bottles/packets at each stop with rave reviews, leaving bottles for all of our kinds host/hostesses.

Off to a second cup of coffee, some granola and Day 3 of adventure.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kari,You are an amazing woman, and an inspiration! As I sit here reading your blog, tears are running down my cheeks in celebration and gratitude that you are here, and I am able to read about your adventures on your journey. I look forward to celebrating Keaton's five year mark in some sort of way that will be as meaningful to him, as your celebration is for you, me and all those who know you. Thank you so much! Lots of love as you continue todays adventure and the ones to come!

Jeni said...

I've been having fun on my virtual walk with you. Keep on truckin'...you rock!!!

Anonymous said...

Amazing Kari, A beautiful day to you and daddio!
You are a gift of life to all!
Mz. L

Unknown said...

Hi Kari! This is Maya. Just wishing you good luck. I really hope you have a good walk. Also, I
hope you like your hotels. Well, good LUCK!

Anonymous said...

Wow what a wonderful adventure. Cindy and I are enjoying following your progress. Keep it up!

Cousin Greg