Friday, May 9, 2008

Day 5 + 4: 'Back in the Saddle'

As the week comes to a close, it is hard for me to believe that a week ago tonight we were mid-555 and that in one day, we will have been home as long as we were gone.  Wow how it has all flown by.

Tuesday and Wednesday, my first two days home, I spent in somewhat of a fog.  A 'hangover' of sorts.  After five intoxicating days, it took me 48 hours to focus clearly again, make order of my day and begin to walk a straight line.  

But, alas (for better or worse), I am 'back in the saddle.'  After a brief 'test stroll' on Wednesday night, I laced up my shoes again yesterday morning and knocked out a 5.5 mile walk.  Somehow, it just felt like the natural thing to do and it jump started my day.  This afternoon, two days back in to my routine kid shuffle, errands, work meetings, classroom duties, grocery shopping and a haircut, I was beginning to wonder if I had ever gone away. What happened to that amazing buzz I had?  That certain feeling of clarity that I had when I hit the top of the last hill on Webster.  Was it gone only to be captured by the photos?  

The answer came as I whipped around the corner of Kaywoodie St. and into my driveway----NO WAY, not gone at all baby!  What to my wondering eyes should appear? ....but a yard full of amazing, handmade picket signs, the ones that greeted us four days ago in San Francisco!  An friend had returned them to me but instead of in a pile on my doorstep, they were staked throughout the yard certain to create a stir in the neighborhood real estate market.  Watch out Coldwell Banker---"Cancer Sucks" and "Happy Days are Here Again" are in the 'hood and doing real good.  Instantly, that feeling of clarity returned.  Thank you dear Berry Fairy, you made my day---no saddle sores here!

No comments: