Monday, May 12, 2008

Day 5 + 7: A Week Ago Today...


"Where was I, right now, a week ago today?" That is the question that kept playing through my head at each turn of my day today.  

Being that a week ago today was the last day of our walk and our long anticipated and planned for arrival at Dr. Minor's office (five years in anticipation from my perspective), I guess it makes sense.  Not to mention that I am a bit of a sucker for symbolic dates and anniversaries. 

Somewhere in the breakfast-pack lunches-brush hair- make it to school by the bell mayhem of the beginning of this day, I remembered the like chaos of the 'Walton-like', nineteen person morning scene at the hostel last week.  I chuckled to myself.

In my mid-morning fit of office/admin/computer shuffle, my screen saver flashed by a picture of the amazing lupines and cow parsnips that graced our morning climb just last week.  I smiled to myself and took a moment to stop and recall the smell of that cool morning hike.

Then, at shortly before noon as I was finishing up a great yoga class and slipping into a moment of quiet meditation, eyes closed on my back, tears started rolling down my cheek.  I was taken back---this has never happened to me in a yoga class.  I took a deeper breath and hoped that everyone else was following 'the rules' and keeping their eyes closed as I tried to figure out what was going on.  Suddenly I realized that, 'at this time, a week ago today', we had just come over the top of the final hill above the Golden Gate Bridge, and taking in the breathtaking view, the same thing had happened---tears rolling down my cheek.  Coincidence?  Who knows.

By mid-day, as I climbed back into my car, taking all of this into consideration, I decided that perhaps I should listen to what I was being told (not common if you know me well) and just try to take the rest of this day as a bit of a personal reflective celebration.  

That determined, I said "yes" to Anissa's suggestion of an evening hike/walk and I headed to the grocery store to shop for a much desired celebratory spread of Spring goodies for dinner.  

Dinner was tasty:  grilled salmon and our first garden fava beans, bulgur with garlic, lemon, parsley and mint, butter lettuce and arugula salad with radishes and avocado, strawberry, rhubarb fool made with two pints of our own berries and a glass of champagne.  Yum!  

And, to round it out, I am fairly certain that the rattlesnake that we came upon on our hike tonight, was the one that I was so sure would show up on our walk last week but never did!  I will never forget that sound.

So, literally, this moment last week, I was passed out cold, snoring away, in my own comfy bed, snuggled between to warm cuddly kids---mmmm!  I am off to try and recreate that now.  Sweet dreams.

No comments: