Thursday, May 8, 2008

Day 5 + 3: What is 'Monkey Butt'?


As I return to my daily routine and see the familiar faces that knew I was taking this crazy walk---the cashier at the grocery store, school teachers, other moms picking up kids from school, the neighbors, etc.,---the most asked question has to be "how are your feet?"  or  "are you sore?"

My feet are happy. I attribute that to good socks (thick-bottomed wool for me) and the canister of 'Anti Monkey Butt Powder' my dad scored on the bargain rack right before he came to Napa.  This large yellow shaker with a  label stating it as a "sweat absorber and friction fighter" and picturing a cartoon monkey giving the thumbs up with his large, red rump facing you is a mixture of talc and calamine powder.  Needless to say, sitting on our counter in the days before departure it was a source of great giggles for the resident six and seven year olds.  Evidently this uncomfortable, chaffing affliction (monkey butt) is well known by truckers, motorcycles riders and others that participate in "butt busting activities."  My butt was not my concern however it seemed a great use for my sweaty pups.  I cut the powder 50:50 with cornstarch and carried it in a Ziploc bag (a rather suspicious looking package when whipped out in public).  Each morning and a couple times throughout the day, I unrolled my baggie and I dusted my feet with this magic white powder and presto, happy feet!

As for the rest of me, I think my training was adequate and my body was ready for the adventure.  I walked 6-8 miles as day at least 4 days a week, at a pace of 4 miles/hour (pretty fast)  in the month prior to my departure.  My strategy was that if I was conditioned to handle the more rapid 4 mile/hour pace, our budgeted 2.5-3 miles per hour, including rest stops, would make up for the increased mileage.  I think it worked.  The lactic acid came each time we took a break and getting moving again took a moment however, most mornings I felt pretty darn good and was ready to 'keep on trucking.'

All said and done, the most tired part of me is my mind.  This was not just a physical journey, it was an emotional and mental one too.  The sights, sounds, smells, experiences, thoughts, conversations, friends, family, new people, and memories along the way have crammed my brain full and will take time to process.  There were also many short nights of sleep before and during our adventure and each night since I have returned, I have slept like a rock.  

So, the answer to the questions are:
  • Feet:  great, not blisters or pain
  • Body:  good too, a day of sore knees/calves from the last day of hills
  • Mind:  full,  processing and tired

No comments: